Community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Why oh why are the ALAN-1 bolts so short?

Firstly, though, some richly deserved praise.  I just received my long-coveted ALAN-1, after finally determining to stretch my meager carpentry skills to the limit to find a way to mount it on my MAME multicade.  To my surprise, I actually found a way to mount it removably over my existing control panel!

Everything was going very well with the build until the very last step, when I realized the bolts were not going to reach through the wood I used for the mounting box!  What would have been the arm to putting longer bolts on this thing?  This wouldn't be such an issue, except that the bolts are somehow fused to the plate.

I can see a few possible solutions:

1) Replace the bolts would be the best one.  How are they fused to the plate?  Can I bang them out, or is there some adhesive solvent that would be helpful?

2) Bolt extenders.  This would be more of a pain because I'll need to enlarge the holes.  What size are the existing bolts (to help me buy the right thing without dragging the yoke to the hardware store).

3) Rout our the holes.  I'd really rather not do this, because I'd need to do it on the assembled box, I don't have the tools for it, and if I did the last thing I would want to do is weaken the main stress point on the panel.

I am shocked I got myself this far, but now I could use some help on clearing this final hurdle.  Thank you!

The forum won't let me save an edit.  Here is the version I meant to post (I meant to praise the yoke, not my half-ass carpentry)
Firstly, though, some richly deserved praise.  I just received my long-coveted ALAN-1.  The build quality on this thing is amazing, and I'm so looking forward to being able to play some of my favorite games the way they were meant to play.  In fact, there really isn't any other way to play the arcade version of Star Wars properly.
So I spent today stretching my meager carpentry skills to the limit to find a way to mount the yoke on my MAME multicade.  To my surprise, I actually found a way to secure it temporarily over my existing control panel.
Everything was going very well with the build until the very last step, when I realized the bolts were not going to reach through the wood I used for the mounting box!  What would have been the arm to putting longer bolts on this thing?  This wouldn't be such an issue, except that the bolts are somehow fused to the plate.
I can imagine a few possible solutions:
1) Replace the bolts would be the best one.  How are they fused to the plate?  Can I bang them out, or is there some adhesive solvent that would be helpful?
2) Bolt extenders.  This would be more of a pain because I'll need to enlarge the holes.  What size are the existing bolts (to help me buy the right thing without dragging the yoke to the hardware store).
3) Rout our the holes.  I'd really rather not do this, because I'd need to do it on the assembled box, I don't have the tools for it, and if I did the last thing I would want to do is weaken the main stress point on the panel.
I am shocked I got myself this far, but now I could use some help on clearing this final hurdle.  Thank you!

Thinking about this more, I think I just have to get those bolts out and replace them with new ones.  Should I just vice-grip the stems and try to turn them out?  I fear I will ruin the threads by trying, and want to make sure they aren't glued or welded.

Turns out those bolts are welded in, and aren't coming out.

Fortunately, bolt extenders did work very well.  I had to enlarge to holes in my panel and the plastic plate to accomodate the extenders, and then used some washers and nylon spacers to finish the attachment.  Now I'm up and rolling, and played my first "real" game of Star Wars in probably 35 years.