Community

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:Alan-1 BBSMain: SupportRetropie Yoke Support
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Retropie Yoke Support

As of now Retropie is not seeing any inputs from the adapter board. The board lights do illuminate from pots and switches. Although the thrust light only illuminates in one direction of turn action.

should thrust illuminate in both directions?

When using

cat /dev/input/mice 

Im getting no feedback on my screen. Games of course do not respond as well.

What’s the best way to test is the board is properly recognized by the OS?

I guess I’ll test in Windows tonight to verify board works.

Quote from jsimpson32 on May 30, 2019, 11:55 am

As of now Retropie is not seeing any inputs from the adapter board. The board lights do illuminate from pots and switches. Although the thrust light only illuminates in one direction of turn action.

should thrust illuminate in both directions?

When using

cat /dev/input/mice 

Im getting no feedback on my screen. Games of course do not respond as well.

What’s the best way to test is the board is properly recognized by the OS?

Were you able to test the board on a windows machine?

By thrust, do you mean turning the handles forward?

Because Retropie interprets some USB devices differently than windows,  we are in the process of developing a Retropie version of the USB adapter firmware for greater compatibility.  You will be able to flash your device as soon as it comes available.  I'll be sure to announce its release here.  Perhaps I could send you beta versions if you would be willing to test it for us?

-- mydentist "we fight for the user"

problem solved. For reasons I’ll never understand the micro usb cable I was using worked with windows but not retropie. Once I swapped out the cable, Linux / retropie instantly recognized the adapter. Games are now all configured and setup. The game play is a nice experience overall running under advmame. Not a Mame 2003 fan.

I did end up adding some light oil to the yoke bushings for smoother play. Recommend in your production.

still having issues with button alignment. The top side buttons tend to slide off the micro switch inside the assembly. Then they don’t work. Will correct myself by shimming the micro switch. If your building entire cabinets, things like that are minor. Lol

In windows it works great with MAME 0182 with the suggested configs, but I'd rather do this on the Pi to avoid mounting a PC inside the cabinet.

I was able to get the yoke to work on RetroPie using advmame but not smoothly.  If you could post your configurations or share your image that would be great.

I was able to get it to work on libretro-mame2003 ONCE.  But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the RetroPad mappings working so that Retroarch can recognize the keyboard AND the yoke adapter at the same time.  Since FREE PLAY seems to be broken/not working you need to coin up and the yoke adapter (gamepad) lacks buttons to make this happen.  So any results, help, guidance, or configuration suggestions are welcome.

Quote from behrmr on June 18, 2019, 4:53 pm

In windows it works great with MAME 0182 with the suggested configs, but I'd rather do this on the Pi to avoid mounting a PC inside the cabinet.

I was able to get the yoke to work on RetroPie using advmame but not smoothly.  If you could post your configurations or share your image that would be great.

I was able to get it to work on libretro-mame2003 ONCE.  But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the RetroPad mappings working so that Retroarch can recognize the keyboard AND the yoke adapter at the same time.  Since FREE PLAY seems to be broken/not working you need to coin up and the yoke adapter (gamepad) lacks buttons to make this happen.  So any results, help, guidance, or configuration suggestions are welcome.

The issue is the deadzone is impossible to eliminate with the way retropie implements MAME.  We have released a new version of the firmware (rev 3.1) to compensate for this by using software to eliminate the deadzone the best we can when running retropie. It isn't as smooth as the windows version, but it is much better than using the stock firmware that is flashed on the adapter (rev 3.0).   You can download rev 3.1 from the USB adapter products page below:

Alan-1 USB Flight Yoke Adapter

-- mydentist "we fight for the user"